top of page
Family Support Derbyshire
Family Support Volunteer
Family Support Derbyshire is a local initiative helping parents with young children through difficult and challenging times - whatever those challenges may look like.
Midway Community Centre, Rowan Drive, Swadlincote, Derbyshire, DE11 0FH
Is the location accessible for those with physical disabilities or limited mobility?
Volunteering is in the home so this would be dependent on where the family lives.
Is the location accessible by public transport?
Flexible to suit your personal commitments and availability but we do ask that you are able to offer 2-3 hours per week and must be able to commit to supporting a family for 12 months.
Could this role be carried out virtually or through a hybrid volunteering model?
Is a criminal record check (DBS) required for this role?
Is a driving license required?
Preferred but not essential
Are expenses covered?
Yes, TRAVEL and Parking Charges Only
What will you be doing?
- To perform your volunteer role to the best of your ability and within the standards and methods of practice and the policies of Family Support Derbyshire. To commit to the ethos of the charity.
- Visiting Families in their own homes, where the dignity and identity of each individual can be respected.
- To offer positive and caring support, friendship and practical help. Reassuring Families that difficulties in raising children are not unusual.
- To emphasise the positive aspects of Family life.
- To develop a relationship with the Family.
- To encourage parents’ strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their own children.
- To encourage Families to widen their network of relationships and to effectively use the support and services available in the community.
- To ensure that the child’s needs and experiences are at the centre of your thinking.
- To at all times safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
- To have regard for health and safety at all times, including personal safety whilst lone working.
- To operate within responsibilities to safeguard and promote children’s welfare.
What skills are required?
To be a parent or to have had parenting experience.
Will training be given or available?
Yes, full training given (6x 2hour sessions) including completing your enhanced DBS.
Additional important information
bottom of page