top of page
National Trust (Calke Abbey)
House Experience Volunteer - Weekends
We are looking for weekend House Experience Volunteers to add the sparkle to any visit – giving everyone a warm welcome and bringing stories from Calke Abbey to life.
Calke Abbey, Ticknall, Derby, Derbyshire, De73 7JF
Is the location accessible for those with physical disabilities or limited mobility?
Is the location accessible by public transport?
Saturday and or Sundays, 10.30am - 4.30pm (with lunch and tea break)
Could this role be carried out virtually or through a hybrid volunteering model?
Is a criminal record check (DBS) required for this role?
Is a driving license required?
Are expenses covered?
Yes, TRAVEL Only
What will you be doing?
• Creating a warm welcome for everyone who visits
• Responding to the different needs of different visitors, including people with additional access needs
• Finding out what visitors are looking for from their visit and helping them decide how to get the best of their day
• Sharing inspirational stories, curious facts and practical information or simply the space for visitors to wander at their own pace
• Learning more about Calke Abbey so you can share all that’s special – indoors and out
• Being available to volunteer on a Saturday or Sunday
• There’ll be plenty of opportunity to do the little things that make a big difference, such as opening a door to a secret corridor or room.
• Responding to the changing needs of Calke Abbey – getting involved in supporting temporary exhibitions and permanent collections, hosting, leading tours or leading talks
• Supporting with health and safety and evacuation procedures if required
• Being part of a team that may need to adapt and change in response to local needs, National Trust priorities or changes to government guidelines e.g .Covid
What skills are required?
This role will suit you if you are...
• Looking for a weekend volunteering opportunity. The role is flexible, and we don't expect you to commit to every weekend but do require a full days commitment
• Full of enthusiasm and enjoy engaging and inspiring visitors of all ages
• Looking to gain experience in a heritage setting for work experience or building your CV
• Someone who loves being around people – you’ll meet a lot each day!
• Interested in Calke Abbey – you don’t need to know all of the history, but as a House Experience Volunteer you’ll enjoy picking up lots of facts and figures
Will training be given or available?
Yes, we want all our volunteers to feel welcome and to have an equally positive experience when volunteering with us. So, volunteers will:
• Be provided with the necessary induction, training, equipment and reasonable adjustments to do this role well and safely
• Be offered expenses to cover agreed travel costs between home and place of volunteering.
• Have remote access to support, news and rotas via our volunteer website
Additional important information
All National Trust volunteers will be asked to
• Respect and uphold the National Trust values whilst volunteering with us
• Complete training required of all NT volunteers and any role specific training
• Adhere to relevant policies and processes including safeguarding, health and safety, and equality and diversity
By getting involved you could
• Spend your weekends in our fabulous places that are packed with history
• Get to know Calke Abbey and our visitors
• Gain experience of working in a heritage setting
• Be part of a varied and enthusiastic team and form new friendships
• Gain experience in storytelling and visitor welcome
• Develop and share your knowledge
You’d also be joining Europe’s largest conservation charity and the wider National Trust team proudly looking after 780 miles of coastline, over 250,000 hectares of land, over 500 historic houses, castles, ancient monuments, gardens, parks and nature reserves (including lighthouses, villages, pubs and a gold mine!). We are a unique charity welcoming millions of people each year and with a vision to open up places for the benefit of everyone, for ever.
For further information on this opportunity and more please complete this form:
Alternatively email email@example.com quoting the opportunity number stated below.
Customer Service or Experience
Volunteer Opportunity No.
bottom of page